Friday, March 2, 2012

Snowstorm Begins to Slam Midwest, Great Lakes

Mar 2, 2012; 10:26 AM ET
Windswept snow with poor visibility. Courtesy of Photos.com
As severe weather rips through the Ohio and Tennessee valleys, a snowstorm is taking shape over the Midwest and will blast into the central Great Lakes area tonight.
The disturbance that brought feet of snow to the Sierra Nevada and other parts of the West will eject into the Midwest today and gather strength as it races northeastward.
Cold air rushing into the nation's heartland this afternoon will combine with the storm to produce a swath of windswept snow through tonight.
As the storm intensifies, winds will become gusty across the Midwest. These strong winds, combined with heavy snowfall, could create blizzard conditions tonight.
The hardest hit region from this powerful storm is expected to be the northwestern part of Michigan, including Traverse City and central Ontario, including Sudbury. Over a foot (30 centimeters) of wind-whipped snow is possible.



Although the heaviest snow will be confined to a narrow zone, residents from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to Madison, Wis., to Grand Rapids, Mich., are expected to get at least 3-6 inches of snow.
Travel is expected to be treacherous along I-80, I-88, I-90, and I-94 in northern Illinois, and along I-39, I-43, I-90, and I-94, in Wisconsin. Locations in Michigan north and west of I-69 have the best chance of experiencing disruptive wintry weather.
This will be a quick-hitting, but powerful storm. By Saturday, snow will taper off across Michigan as the storm pulls northeastward into Quebec.
On the southern side of this storm, a large outbreak of severe weather, including tornadoes, is under way in the Ohio and Tennessee valleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment